Third Eye Gypsy(Genea Beads) 2011 by Parigo Studios 2010

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Babies, Beads and Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

Hello friends!

Lots of exciting things going on here. 


On October 25, 2014,  a star has fallen from heaven down to earth. My beautiful niece, Ayla Isadora Copeland was born at 1:37pm. She is a healthy 6 lb 13oz, 20 1/2" baby girl ♡  Finally our sweet baby girl is here for us all to enjoy. I took the photo only 2 short hours after her birth in my mom's arms. Isn't she a sweet little thing :)

I finally got back to my somewhat regular schedule of making beads. I tried a new spin on my batik style design and here is what I came up with. I wasn't sure if this was a "one hit wonder" or if I should continue making more. I had such an overwhelmingly positive response to them I SOLD OUT before even getting a chance to list them!  I really wanted to get some more of these beads in the shop, so off to work I went cranking out more beads, but....

I ran into a few road blocks. Some of our glasses produce a muddy metallic sheen from being heated and cooled slowly in the kiln striking the glass. This color combo is no exception. Well I did my normal toilet bowl cleaner treatment to clean up the beads, but ran out of my old bottle. To my surprise they CHANGED THE FORMULA from 20% hydrogen chloride to 10%. ACK! In this photo from left to right you can see the difference in each bead and headpin. The far left is untreated, middle is the new 10% hydrogen chloride(still a slight metallic sheen), and the 20% hydrogen chloride from my older bottle(very clean look with no metallic sheen). Well shit! 

So I went to my trust glass collective, The International Society of Glass Beadmakers for some help. I started a thread on their facebook page and got a wealth of other techniques to clean off the metallics. So much, that I will be posting a blog about all of these other great techniques! 

Here is my series of, "Tanzanite and Sky Silver Thread Batiks". Pretty schnazzy huh?! 
Here's a closer look at the new pretties in the shop!


Like my *fancy* photo collages? Learn how to use Pic Monkey with my video tutorial here.

Well I must be off! Lots of beads to tie, and pack up before heading out to spend some time in the sweet sunshine. It's supposed to be 67 today!

Have a great weekend!

Thanks for stopping by!

xo Genea

2 comments:

Shai Williams said...

I am jealous of your weather. We have hit our 'grey' season where we get a lot of rain.

And definitely not a one hit wonder. I love the new beads!

Third Eye Gypsy said...

Shaiha, Don't be jealous, the cold days are just around the corner for us ;) We will be experiencing highs of 38 and lows of 22. Brrr!

Thanks so much! I have just a few left so looks like they were a BIG hit ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

xo Genea

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I love it when you share your thoughts with me :)